I have now been at Utah State of more than a semester and I never knew what the YETC held within it's boarders. The YETC is the technology center in the education building, for those of you who aren't at Utah State. Many times I've gone in, but only to use the computer and print things off for class.
The director gave us a little tour and seriously there are so many resources! The even have video discs which are about the size of old records but are CDs. Think about the student's reactions when you whip out one of those!
I am not certain about what grade I would like to teach in specific, but I think that I could use so many of the following sites in every grade.
Spellingcity.com is an easy way for students to practice their spelling words as well as take a spelling test. What makes it easy for teachers is that the student can print off a report of how they did.
Stellarium is a really neat astronomy program. You can view the sky from any point on earth and watch the progression of the night sky. This is super cool and brings the starts to life!
Zotero.org is an easy way to organize information that you collect from the internet. Everyone can use to easily insert footnotes and references. My only hesitancy about students using it is that they won't learn how to put a bibliography together manually.
Storyline Online is one of the favorite resources that we talked about today. You can find almost any children's book on the site. Each book is narrated by different famous people. This is absolutely fun! Reading is very important for students to learn and enjoy. Hearing their favorite celebrity reading could enhance the excitement about reading.
Needless to say I am super excited about exploring all of these.
Friday, February 5, 2010
Entering the Unknown
Posted by Annie at 9:16 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am really excited about all these internet resources too. I love the idea that I can use all these things, like spellingcity and storyline online to help my students become more interested in reading and writing. I also think I'm going to be using the YETC a lot more when I'm making lesson plans ... it's going to be a very useful tool.
I also had no clue that there were so many resources back there! I used it only as a computer lab... and even then rarely. I thought that he gave us a lot of useful information today, and I'm excited to explore it further!
I agree that the YETC is a great resource. And Nathan is really interested in doing all he can to help students throughout the college.
Post a Comment